Leaky Gut Syndrome is at the top of many gut-related conversations these days.
psssst….Interested in a whole book with a 28-Day Meal Plan around Leaky Gut? I’ve got it for you! Grab your copy today –> The Leaky Gut Meal Plan: 4 Weeks to Detox and Improve Digestive Health.
Interested Since 2009
As the topic has been on my back burner since about 2009, I thought I would finally spend some time researching and writing on it.
In 2009, I did a food intolerance test, and the results showed that I was intolerant to 22 different foods. Some of them included: egg white, milk, shrimp, lentil, malt, and celery. There wasn’t a rhyme or reason for any of them, and so I worked very hard at avoiding all of them.
What I would go on to learn in the years that followed was that I wasn’t necessarily intolerant to all of those foods, but instead that my gut had become leaky which caused my body to react to those foods and so many more.
For the record, I would not be doing my job in researching this well if I didn’t tell you that many doctors believe there is no such thing as Leaky Gut Syndrome. Former National Council Against Health Fraud president Robert S. Baratz, DDS, MD, PhD stated,
Some fad diagnoses seem almost to be interchangeable. Large numbers of people are scammed in the same way for different conditions, by a variety of practitioners and unlicensed personnel. It is as though there is a “menu” of quack treatments that they can choose for a variety of alleged conditions depending on the patient’s susceptibility and pocketbook and the practitioner’s guile, gall, and greed. Source
Based on my research and life experiences, I would have to fully disagree. But you can be the judge for yourself.
What is Leaky Gut Syndrome
Click HERE to save this post for later.
In the simplest terms, Leaky Gut Syndrome is when the cells that make up the lining of the intestinal tract become so inflamed that the gut lining becomes more permeable than it’s meant to be.
Eventually, the walls that line the intestinal tract become permeable to the degree that undigested food particles and gut flora enter the bloodstream. (Source)
11 Leaky Gut Symptoms
Click HERE to save these 11 symptoms.
- Digestive symptoms, including gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea or a combination of them all
- Seasonal allergies or asthma
- Hormonal imbalances
- An autoimmune disease
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia
- Mood and mind issues (ADD, ADHD, etc.)
- Skins issues like acne and rosacea
- Candida overgrowth
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Colitis, Crohn’s, Celiac, etc.)
How do you get Leaky Gut Syndrome?
Click HERE to save these for later.
Proponents of Leaky Gut Syndrome mostly agree that it comes about from various things which damage the gut in general.
- Alcohol and certain painkillers
- Pre-existing conditions like inflammatory bowel disease, gut infections, diabetes, complicated surgeries and more
- Processed foods
- Chronic stress
- Microbiome imbalance
How to Fix Leaky Gut Syndrome
Click HERE to save this for later.
If you accept the notion of Leaky Gut Syndrome (for the record, I do 100% because I’ve lived in and have not just done research on it), then here are some ways to fix it:
- Diet. Don’t even think you get out of this ahead without focusing on diet. An elimination diet of sorts is recommended and for sure avoiding things like dairy, soy, sugar, gluten, chemicals and other additives.
- Begin a Food Journal. I have practiced and preached this for years, but it’s one of the best ways to track food and mood and overall feelings from day-to-day to watch progress or a lack thereof. Alternatively, try a Bullet Journal.
- Limit the use of alcohol and NSAIDs.
- Determine if you have an underlying condition or infection. Remember, don’t Google your health problems, find out the true answer for you.
- Eat the foods that will help rebuild your gut. In particular, make sure you are getting enough Omega-3’s and when the time is right fermented foods.
- Supplement. You might need to supplement with things like digestive enzymes, glutamine, probiotics, licorice root, quercetin, MSM, zinc, slippery elm, and more.
- Eat mindfully and without stress.
- Reduce overall stress. Here are 28 ways to reduce stress to get you started.
- The 4R’s.
Want More on Leaky Gut?
Click HERE to grab 31 Specific Things to Heal a Leaky Gut.
Want even more? I have a week-by-week breakdown of healing leaky gut and 28-day meal plan to accompany it. Get your copy HERE.
Looking for a supplement to the book? Grab The Gutsy Girl’s Bible: an approach to healing the gut.
Or maybe you just want to begin a FREE 21-Day Gut Healing Journey with me?! Yes….then click HERE.
You will heal. I will help.