What happens when you do not eat enough?
This is not a trick question. Your body shuts down, maybe not immediately and maybe not even noticeably in any foreseeable future. But the damage is being done, and your body is shutting down.
What Happens When You Do Not Eat Enough
Click HERE to save this post for later.
I know this because I have lived through this, and I am (sadly) living the rest of my life trying to undo the damage from this.
Not Eating Enough
When we chatted over bone broth recently, I told you,
Lately, I’ve been caught up with the idea that things from my past have affected my current and future. That bothers me.
And this is exactly what I was referring to.
A past life of hobby restriction lead to a “healing life” of forced restriction; neither restrictions are any I’d wish upon anyone.
Stop and read that again. Hobby restriction can (and usually does) lead to forced restriction.
Hand-in-hand with taking me to a place of severe adrenal fatigue, SIBO, and an autoimmune condition went a digestive system that was completely out of whack and unable to tolerate or process anything. In order to get my gut to a place of healing, I had to focus real hard on starving gut bacteria vs. starving myself. If you think they are the same, I can promise you they are not. But both are a version of hell; I am convinced.
Chris Kresser recently published this post, “8 Signs You’re Not Eating Enough.”
Upon reading the article, I felt it deep in my gut to finally bring it to the surface.
For 15+ years I did not eat enough. The result of that ended with 6 of the mentioned “problems” from the post.
6 Signs You’re Not Eating Enough
Click HERE to save these signs for later.
- Your weight isn’t budging. Why? Well, why would you “lose weight” if your body is actually saying, “I’m starving. I must hold onto every last thing I can.”
- You can’t get pregnant. During the depths of my healing journey, my doctor told me, “Your body isn’t concerned with trying to grow another life; it wants to preserve your own.” And that is powerful.
- Your blood sugar is a roller coaster. When you’re not fueling for life, your blood sugar will be up and down, usually with no rhyme or reason.
- Your mood is totally unpredictable. This goes beyond hangry, though, that was always a thing for me.
- You’re chronically constipated. How can you poop anything out if there is nothing to poop out?!
- You’re always cold.
What Happens When You Don’t Eat
And for me (and most), even more things happened.
While my gut issues and autoimmune (Colitis) might have been bound to surface, I firmly believe that the fire was ignited by a disordered past. After all, it takes a trigger to “turn on” an autoimmune condition (I had a few).
If you want to hear me share more about this in my full story, you can listen in HERE.
There was a reason my SIBO and all gut issues went into remission in the first place, but maybe even more important than that is the reason I continue to stay in remission and thrive. (It rocks!)
I cannot change my past, but what I hope is that my story – the stories I have told and the stories I am going to tell – will help someone else never find themselves on the road I travelled.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy:
You will heal. I will help.