I am healing, and it is incredible.
The day after ‘8 Things I Am Doing for SIBO, Adrenal Fatigue and Autoimmune,’ I saw my holistic MD.
After I confirmed with him that I do in fact have the hydrogen vs. methane version of SIBO, I told him I was ready for the antibiotic if he agreed.
He fully agreed with me that my case might require the antibiotic.
Immediately upon being prescribed it, I went to the pharmacy to pick it up. The antibiotic is almost $1,200 and that’s with awesome insurance.
It’s an absolute joke and insane amount of money for anyone to have to spend on critical care. Turned out, the pharmacy didn’t even have it in that day, but told me I could get it the following Monday.
I debated all weekend. I talked myself out of getting it at one point,
But I know I can heal with diet and lifestyle alone.
As I thought about it longer and realized I didn’t want to wear big sweatshirts my whole life, I decided to bite the antibiotic bullet.
Today marks Day 14 of me being on the antibiotic Rifaximin. Most people with SIBO take it for 7-14 days. I have a severe case, so I am on it for 21 days (3 times per day).
In addition to the antibiotic, more things we are doing in this “phase 2” of my intense healing:
- 2-3 HCL pills per meal for 5+ times per day. I did a little “HCL challenge” about a week prior to my visit with him so I could understand my stomach’s acidity levels. I was up to taking 9 – yes, NINE – pills per sitting with zero effects (i.e. stomach burning). This is absolutely horrible on many levels. I will write about it soon hopefully. For now, we are staying low and going with it….building little-by-little.
- New supplement addition: Ox Bile. I do not have it yet. I should soon.
- Some of my current supplements have increased dosages.
- I am to do a 10-day tracking of my basal body temperature first thing in the morning. I have not started this yet.
- B12 injections: not optional any longer. I put doing this off for the first 120 days, but he said it’s critical that I start. So I did. Yes, 2-3 injections in my belly, at home, each week. I was shaking the first couple of times I did it. It’s easy peasy now. My house looks like a lab. It could be worse.
- See him again in the next 6-8 weeks.
Last Monday I began a brand new way of approaching my diet. I am eating over a pound of vegetables a day, and I am feeling better than I ever have in my entire life. Yesterday, I had 2 of these. Eggs. Yes, eggs. No problems!
It’s been 10+ years that I’ve been on this journey.
It has been so hard, but I think I have finally found the key to success.
I have spent so much time with myself these past several weeks (beginning when I got really bad), and my ah-ha moments arrived….little-by-little, one-by-one to the culmination of this past week.
Part of it includes a deep, dark ugly past that perhaps will be told someday in my full brave story, and the other part of it includes how I am finally embracing change and reality.
Hippocrates said, “All disease begins in the gut.”
And while I live by that, I live more by this now:
I am healing.
And I am grateful.
You will heal. I will help.