I must share with you this DIY sunscreen with Nutiva Coconut Oil.
Click HERE to save this post for later.
Search the Internet, and you will likely find hundreds of recipes for “DIY Sunscreen.” Why? Consumers are tired of the standard, chemical-filled sunscreens that have flooded the marketplace.
The Environmental Working Group has outlined “The Trouble with Sunscreen Chemicals,” and it is very apparent that toxicity is the underlying theme.
I work with some amazing people at Nutiva, so we decided to research making our own sunscreen and then DIY’ing it.
And I’ve gotta be honest…..
It was not only interesting but super easy!
DIY Sunscreen with Nutiva Coconut Oil
By the way, if you are not interested in making your own, but need a safer sunscreen for the whole family, click HERE to grab them.
Since we know that Coconut Oil has a (natural) SPF of about 8, it only makes sense that we could combine other ingredients for a stronger (sans-chemicals) SPF sunscreen.
I love Wellness Mama’s Homemade Sunscreen, so decided to give it a try.
- olive oil, ½ cup
- ¼ cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
- beeswax (beads), ¼ cup
- 2 Tablespoons Zinc Oxide
- ½ teaspoon organic orange extract
- Gather ingredients.
- Combine ingredients except zinc oxide in a pint sized glass jar.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium heat. Put a lid on the jar loosely and place in the pan with water.
- As the water heats, the ingredients in the jar will start to melt.
- Shake or stir occasionally to incorporate.
- When all ingredients are completely melted, add the zinc oxide and stir in well.
- Add in the orange extract (or whatever scent you like best).
- Pour mixture into whatever jar or tin you will use for storage. (At this point we transferred into a wide-mouthed Weck jar.) After just a short while, all ingredients will solidify into the sunscreen texture.
- Store in the fridge or in a cool, dark place.
If you try this recipe, too, let me know what you think.
Enjoy this post? If so, here are some others you might like as well:
You will heal. I will help.