Do you know these124 Wheat and Gluten Sources and Alternate Names?
I’m sharing them to help you understand more about what wheat and gluten is/is called and where you might find it.
When it comes to wheat and gluten, there are so many things to know, but one thing people always ask me is, “Is this gluten?”
I have been 100% wheat and gluten free since June 20, 2010.
Even if you do not have Celiac Disease, chances are that if you have IBS or IBD, you are sensitive to wheat and/or gluten.
Furthermore, gluten’s symptoms can be found outside the gut as well.
I put wheat and gluten together, but you should know that they are not the same thing.
Wheat is a grain. Gluten is a protein.
If something says “gluten free,” then it’s always “wheat free.”
If something says “wheat free,” it’s not necessarily “gluten free.” It can all seem very confusing, which is why I put together this list of 124 wheat and gluten sources and alternate names.
I have 8+ lists like this (for different foods) in A Gutsy Girl’s Bible: a 21-day approach to healing the gut.
For today, perhaps this is just the list you’ve been looking for!
124 Wheat and Gluten Sources and Alternate Names
Click HERE to save to your favorite Pinterest board.
- All Purpose Flour
- Artificial Flavor/Artificial Flavoring
- Bouillon Cubes
- Bread Crumbs
- Bread Stuffing
- Breaded/Battered foods
- Brewer’s Yeast
- Broth (a lot of the packaged broths, not my homemade bone broth recipe!)
- Brown Flour
- Coffee and Tea (flavored)
- Cracked wheat
- Deli Meat
- Dextrin (though many times it is made from corn)
- Edible Starch
- Enriched Flour
- Flour Tortillas
- Graham Flour
- Granary Flour
- Gravies and Sauces (thickened with flour)
- Hard Wheat
- Hordeum Vulgare
- Hot Dog
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
- Ice Cream Cones
- Imitation Bacon Bits
- Imitation Seafood (i.e. Crab)
- Lunch Meat (processed)
- Macha Wheat
- Malt Extract
- Malt Syrup
- Malt Flavoring
- Malt Vinegar
- Malted Milk
- Maltodextrin (also made from corn many times)
- Meripro 711
- Matzo Meal
- Meat Loaf (typically made with bread crumbs)
- Modified Food Starch
- Modified Wheat Starch
- Natural Flavor/Natural Flavoring
- Oats/Oatmeal (generally avoid because they are almost always processed in mills that process grains containing gluten, there are some brands that make them gluten free now)
- Oriental Wheat
- Pan Spray
- Pearl Barley
- Persian Wheat
- Pie Crust
- Pita Bread
- Polish Wheat
- Poulard Wheat
- Processed Foods
- Rolled Oats
- Salad Dressing
- Soup Base
- Soy Sauce (Tamari is wheat and gluten free)
- Stone Ground Wheat
- Strong Flour
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Textured Vegetable Protein – TVP
- Triticum Vulgare
- Unbleached Flour
- Vavilovi Wheat
- Vegetable Starch
- Wheat Berries
- Wheat Bran
- Wheat Flour
- Wheat Germ
- Wheat Starch
Adhering to a special diet can be frustrating and challenging, but once you begin to understand all the unique ways for healing your own body, everything becomes easy and knowing what to eat becomes so simple.
If you are interested in lists like this one, see:
- 134 Corn Sources and Alternate Names
- 192 Sugar Sources and Alternate Names
- 100 Dairy Sources and Alternate Names
- 52 Egg Sources and Alternate Names
- and more on all of it via A Gutsy Girl’s Bible
To start a free 21-day gut healing inspiration journey, click HERE. If you’re ready for a complete meal plan, check out the 28-Day Leaky Gut Meal Plan (there are 75 recipes in the book, all of which are gluten free).
You will heal. I will help.