I’ve been asked many times, “Does Atrantil work?”
And I’ve mentioned Atrantil many times on my website, but never in full detail.
Because I still am frequently asked questions about it, I thought I’d put this together for all the inquiring minds.
So let’s get right to it.
Does Atrantil Work?
Click HERE to save this post for later.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase from Atrantil, I make a small amount. My full disclosure can be found HERE.
The short answer is, “yes.” And the longer answer is, “every body is different.”
But the right answer can be determined by you from the information below. And then, of course, by working with your doctor to make the final decision.
What is Atrantil?
Here is how the Atrantil Website describes the product,
Atrantíl is a new nutraceutical that relieves bloating and abdominal discomfort (with or without constipation or diarrhea) caused by gas in the gut. Developed by a gastroenterologist, Atrantíl works differently than probiotics or any other remedy. It attacks problem bacteria and the gas they produce at the source. Atrantíl’s three natural botanicals work together to produce long-term relief for these difficult-to-treat digestive symptoms while promoting a healthy gut.
Atrantil works different than a probiotic because it’s not a probiotic. In fact, it’s not a probiotic, antibiotic or digestive enzyme.
So then, what exactly is in it?
Atrantil is made up of a proprietary blend (composed in a unique patented molecular combination) of the following three ingredients:
Peppermint Leaf (M. balsamea Willd extract)
- Calms the small bowel, allowing the two other botanicals the right amount of time to work most effectively.
- M. balsamea Willd extract contains peppermint oil which has been shown to
reduce abdominal pain and discomfort.
- Quebracho extract contains tannins which are large delocalized flavonoid structures that have been used safely in wine for decades.
- Tannins potentially have dual function: They act as molecular “sponges” for excess hydrogen and methane as well as disrupt and destroy bacterial lipid bilayers.
- Characteristics: stability, large molecular size, ability to readily bond with hydrogen and methane, antifungal, antiviral, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory.
Horse Chestnut (Conker Tree extract)
- Conker tree extract contains escins, also known as saponins. Saponins act as an antimicrobial agents, promote intestinal motility and directly reduce methane production/emission.
- This ingredient is also used a lot for those with symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency.
Its not-active ingredients include microcrystalline, cellulose, gelatin, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide.
Atrantíl is completely free of milk, eggs, peanuts, gluten, soy and shellfish.
Is Atrantil for SIBO?
Atrantil is most commonly used for those with SIBO. However, it’s known to target problems associated with any IBS-C.
That said, if you are methane-dominant, it could be highly effective.
Research shows that the problems start with methane producing bacteria.
Left untreated, these out-of-place bacteria feed off the foods you eat and create methane gas that leaves you bloated and uncomfortable.
My Personal Experience with Atrantil
I do not take Atrantil today because there is zero need for it. However, I did take it in the past, and it was helpful. I’ll never tell you that any one thing healed me. That’s not true for me, and it’s not true for anyone else.
But Atrantil likely was part of the equation of things that helped heal me.
- The fourth round of SIBO treatment I had, Atrantil was all I used. That was March of 2017. My SIBO levels were so low, though, so I simply just took Atrantil for a month.
- The fifth (and final round) of SIBO treatment I completed was in 2018. Almost every single day (of the 28-day Rifaximin/Neomycin combination), my supplements stayed consistent with just digestive enzymes, HCL, and Adrenal Glandular. From day 1 – 24, I took Atrantil (2-3 times per day x’s 2 pills per time) as well. (Read the full 28-day journal HERE.)
There is still a bottle of Atrantil in my cabinet.
So does Atrantil work? Since I believe in the product, there is no need to toss it. Safety net?! Yeah, I keep many of those even though I’m going on 2 years healed.
You can purchase Atrantil HERE. As with any other supplement, be sure to work with your doctor or other practitioner when taking this, especially if you are taking other medications.
p.s. Use code’GUTSY10′ at checkout to save an automatic 10%.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy:
- What is Methane-Dominant SIBO?
- What is Hydrogen-Dominant SIBO?
- The master spreadsheet with all food, supplement, and other Gutsy recommendations (with discount codes!)
You will heal. I will help.