To celebrate World Digestive Health Day today, I wanted to share some information about how to digest beans.
Digestive disease is typically dealt with in silence.
Women in particular are silenced. I know because I used to be one.
Instead of focusing on the world digestive problem today, I thought I’d spin it in a positive, fun and hopefully helpful way.
Updated in 2018 to add: This topic also became super important and useful when I started exploring the question –> Can you heal your gut on a Vegetarian diet?
How to Digest Beans
Click HERE to save this post for later.
aka 8 ways to eat beans and not get gas….
- Soak your beans overnight before cooking and eating
- Cook your beans with vegetables
- Make refried beans with fats; cook them a few times before consuming
- Eat small, fresh beans
- Cook your beans with bay leaf
- Eat beans in small amounts
- Avoid eating beans in the same meal as fruit
- Cook your beans thoroughly
I have practiced these for most of my bum-tum life. I learned even more about them at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. You should know, though, that even if you were to follow all of those “rules,” you might still not be able to digest beans. They are a tough one for anyone with digestive problems. I rarely can handle them. It’s a tragedy, really. Just listen to your body.
Interested in reading more digestive-related information today?
Start with my 286-page massive Gutsy bible -> The Gutsy Girl’s Bible: an approach to healing the gut, 3.0.
You might also enjoy these:
- Digestion & Women: The Stinkin’ Truth
- The New Normal
- Epsom Salt is Magical
- Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
- Solution: Cleaning Out the Gut Part I
- Solution: Cleaning Out the Gut Part II
- The Elimination Diet
- Watermelon and Digestion
- 6 Things I Do When Gluten Attacks
If you click HERE you will be taken to all posts under the IBS/IBD category.
You will heal. I will help.