Today I put together 9 signs your gut is unhealthy (or at least 9 signs your gut could be unhealthy).
People are always asking me how to know if their gut is unhealthy and/or if their SIBO, IBS, gut infection, etc. has healed, so I wanted to share today.
I was inspired to write this post now because I have been feeling so well (yes, even after eating all the things in Italy). I had a follow-up appointment with my doctor yesterday since I did the multiple tests, Colonoscopy and Endoscopy.
Guys – it was my best and strongest doctors appointment in years maybe. My doctor is even confident that if I keep doing what I’m doing, feeling well and healing like I am, there is a chance I can return to hard workouts again with no punishment.
9 Signs Your Gut is Unhealthy
Click HERE to save the 9 signs your gut is unhealthy for later.
- You don’t tolerate food. For the most part, we should be able to digest food. Sure, most of us lack the enzyme lactase that breaks down lactose (cause dairy intolerance) and most junk food is unrecognizable to the body, but on the whole, with a healthy, normal gut, food should be tolerated (yes, even when you eat “junk” on occasion). “Normal” foods like apples, onions, and garlic most definitely should be tolerated. If you currently have to restrict multiple foods and/or food categories because they physically make you ill (not hobby restriction, those are two different things), then your gut is likely compromised.
- Digestive distress; gas, bloating, and/or both. If your stomach hurts and you have gas, bloating, and/or both, it’s obviously one of the most recognizable signs that your gut is unhealthy. Everyone passes gas, every single day. But usually it comes without you even knowing it and is not painful.
- You have silent and foul smelling gas. This is a classic SIBO symptom. In fact, Methane-dominant SIBO can make you smell like a barn; Hydrogen Sulfide like rotten eggs..
- Your breath stinks. No question is a dumb question, and someone once asked via my Instagram Stories if bad breath can signal an unhealthy gut. The answer is “absolutely,” and its stinkiness is caused by gut dysbiosis resulting in H. Pylori, SIBO, GERD, general IBS, Crohn’s and Celiac Disease, general constipation and infection, and more.
- You have acne. This one is so legit. In 2013/2014 when I was first diagnosed, my Perioral Dermatitis had reached its peak – the worst it had ever been. You can see pictures of it HERE. This past winter when my SIBO relapsed, the acne struggle was real again, this time showing up some on my face, but mostly via back acne. After that I wrote, “Could Your Acne Be Caused By Gut Problems?” In the post, I shared pictures, too. Today, all that remains for me, is some mild scarring. Acne is a huge sign your gut is unhealthy. (The answer to getting it gone? Healing the gut with food and lifestyle, addressing any hormone imbalances and taking charge with a clean, safe skincare line targeted for stubborn acne likeTHIS ONE.)
- Your weight is changing (unintentionally). Been working real hard to lose weight? Or completely stopped working out and eating all the junk? With both of those scenarios, you are likely to lose and/or gain weight. I’m not talking about you (though I will say that both of those scenarios might lead you to the road of gut hell). If you haven’t changed anything, but you are gaining or losing weight, it’s a sure sign you might have a gut imbalance. This has happened to me time-and-time again. I always gain. And it’s real. You can read more on this via ‘The SIBO Weight Gain Connection.”
- Your mood is all over the place. If your emotions and mood is all over the place, and you never know from one day to the next how you’ll act and react, your gut might need some love. The Cleveland Clinic even says that some GI patients pair well with Psychologist because this connection between gut and brain is so real.
- Craving all the things. It’s that “time of the month,” you are craving all the things. You might be perfectly “normal.” But if craving all the things turns into 25 days of the month, it could be your gut. You might physically feel constantly starving or your body might just crave sugar, carbs, fat, and/or sugar 24/7. Read more via “Rotten Gut, Starving and Weight Gain.”
- Suppressed immunity. And last, but not least, if you’re always sick or struggling to feel well, your gut could be unhealthy. Do you pick up every last flu bug? Come down with a cold monthly? It could be your gut. 70 – 80% of the immune system lies within the gut. You cannot be (generally) healthy without having a strong gut. They are an intertwined pair.
So how to know for sure if your gut is healthy? It’s actually simple, yet can prove to be a long, drawn out, and tedious process (especially if your doctor doesn’t listen to you and/or wants to mask everything with medications as a solution). The answer is that you MUST test, and not guess.
You could have every single sign I mention above and still be healthy (unlikely, but possible). The only way to know for sure is to test. Don’t wait.
Interested in learning more? I have an entire e-book devoted to the gut, The Gutsy Girl’s Bible: an approach to healing the gut. Or feel free to go on a FREE 21-Day Gut Healing Inspiration Journey.
I’ve got ya covered!
You will heal. I will help.