Yes, I absolutely have the best power foods for Spartan training.
There is no diet like a real food diet.
During my healing journey, I did everything: Low FODMAP to SCD, Paleo to GAPS and more. In addition to these, there are thousands of other approaches to “diet….” Whole30, 21DSD, elimination, low carb, no carb, high carb, low fat, high fat, no nightshades, autoimmune protocol, vegan, vegetarian, etc., etc., etc.
But as I healed, I learned that unless there is something medically wrong, there is just really no diet like a real food diet. This means that anything goes, as long as it’s whole and nourishing; provides energy and nutrition.
I have been living like this for several months now, and I am thriving for the first time in probably my whole life.
And, GASP, I eat grains, starchy carbohydrates, and legumes.
My goals now are for optimal function, health, and energy. And so with these goals, I created a staple grocery list of things to always have on hand moving forward (and most importantly while I train more these next couple of months).
I am calling it “Whole Spartan” because the nature of all these foods are whole and will provide exactly what I need for “life training.”
Power Foods for Spartan Training
Click HERE to save this post for later.
Organic whenever possible (and wild fish always), which I’d estimate is about 70% of the time for us.
- Not listed here, but I continue to take all my supplements on a daily basis.
- I fully realize that some items are not in the correct “category” (i.e. a lemon is a fruit, but I put it in misc.).
- This is not an exhaustive list, and as I remember more things, I’ll add them to the spreadsheet mentioned below.
- This list is not solely for Spartan training and races. In addition to these, I am a half marathoner and love lifting workouts, especially those which include HIIT.
- ground turkey
- ground beef
- steelhead trout
- plantain (also a quality starch)
- sweet potatoes
- bok choy
- bell peppers
- green beans
- water chestnuts
- gluten-free oats
- organic, white rice
Snacks + Treats
- 100% raw cacao nibs
- Nutiva Coconut Manna
- Nikki’s Coconut Butter (any and all, give me them in bulk!)
Nuts + Seeds
- Nutiva Chia Seeds (Click HERE to learn How to Make a Basic Chia Pudding)
- Nutiva Hempseeds
- eggs (I am able to eat these again after THIS nightmare)
- Nutiva Plant Protein Superfood 30 Shakes (I make pancakes mostly with this)
- Nutiva Coconut Flour
- cinnamon (+ spices galore)
- basil (+ herbs galore)
- Monkfruit (use AGUTSYGIRL at checkout to save 15%)
- general items from the Travel Guide
- Califia milks (almond + coconut)
- coconut milk
- kombucha (need to start my homemade kombucha brew cycle again)
- La Croix Sparkling Water
- Tito’s Vodka (kidding, actually not)
And there you have it!
Do you subscribe to my email list? If so, I have just sent you the link to my Power Foods for Spartan Training Google Doc so that you can access it for your own needs. If you missed it, you can grab it HERE. It is the list above, and it will be a working doc in progress, so you’ll be able to follow along as I update it and build it out over time, making it a grocery shopping list that will save you time, money and energy!
I’ll share more about how I use these foods, what I cook and bake, and I’ll help answer any substitution questions you might have! You can follow hashtag #WholeSpartan on Instagram, too (just make sure you’re following me so you don’t miss one)!
Are you ready to race, too? Click HERE to learn more about becoming a Spartan.
You will heal. I will help.