When my mom was here visiting for my 30th birthday, she could not believe I paid $13.50 for a whole, organic chicken.
“But you have no idea all the things I get from this one chicken,” I told her.
“Maybe not,” she said.
I set out to prove it to her…..and now also to you.
My whole, organic chicken and three herbs….
Yields all this chicken….
With the leftover chicken bones and several simple broth ingredients, I then have my perfect broth.
Still with me?
We are still on this one chicken.
Once the broth is done, you will have several meals.
And now for the part you (and my mother), have been waiting for….
Side note: If you want to learn about all the bone broth benefits, click HERE to grab them. This might help you understand the importance of this post.
$15.57 and 11+ Meals and Snacks Out of a Whole Chicken
Click HERE to save this post for later.
What I Paid
Total items needed to make the chicken and broth.
- whole, organic chicken: $13.50
- organic sage: $1.79 (used about 1/4 of total package -> .45)
- organic rosemary: $1.79 (used about 1/4 of total package -> .45)
- organic thyme: $1.79 (used about 1/4 of total package -> .45)
- water (for broth): free
- organic basil: $2.79 (used about 1/8 of total package ->.35)
- 2 garlic bulbs: $.50 whole garlic (.05)
- organic carrots, 1 pound: $.78 (used about 1/8 of total package ->.10)
- organic celery: $1.79 (used about 1/8 of total package ->.22)
- 2 Bay Leaves: nil
- chicken insides: leftover
- chicken bones: leftover
What I Got/Made
Total usage from the one chicken and broth, broken down into all meals and snacks over several days.
- 2 cups broth + 1/2 cup chicken
- 1.5 cups broth + 1/4 cup chicken
- 1/2 cups chicken + spinach + spring mix + coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chicken dipped in avocado
- Chicken Dukkah Lettuce Wraps (used 2 cups of chicken)
- 1/3 cup chicken dipped in avocado
- 1/3 cup chicken + 2 cups broth
- 1/2 cup chicken over a jumbo salad (spinach, spring mix, blackberries, lemon, walnuts, olive oil)
- 1/2 cup chicken + 2 1/2 cups broth
- 1/2 cup chicken with some raw almonds
- 1/2 cup chicken sautéed with broccoli, Brussels sprouts and olive oil
- Bonus: 1/8 cup leftover chicken –> I gave it to my little Peekepoo, Fiona
Do the simple math: $15.57/11 (I won’t count Fiona’s) = $1.42/meal.
I guarantee you’ll never find a clean, organic meal like that at a restaurant. As a matter of fact, you can’t even really find a “health bar” for that much anymore.
Want to give it a try, but not sure how to start? I’ve taken care of that for you, too, with my free e-book on How To: Slow Cook a Chicken and Subsequently Make Broth. Alternatively, you can make Vegetable Broth. I share how to and the pricing breakdown HERE.
You will heal. I will help.